Family Support Information

Bereavement Support

Bereavement Support

Winston’s Wish - provides good publications and excellent school and parent resources on line.

Cruse - 1:1 counselling for adults and teenagers

Jigsaw4u - offer support groups for bereaved children and adults, offer support to schools, home visits, and on-going support over time.

Compassionate Friends - Support for families after a child has passed away.

Simon Says - Child bereavement support services and helpline

Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse

For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, it is important to remember that there is help and support available to you, including police response, online support, helplines, refuges and other services. You are not alone.


Call 999

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police - the police will continue to respond to emergency calls.

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, dial 999, listen to the questions from the operator and respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can. Then follow the instructions depending on whether you are calling from a mobile or a landline.

If you call from a mobile

If prompted, press 55 to Make Yourself Heard - this will transfer your call to the police.

Pressing 55 only works on mobiles and does not allow police to track your location.

If you call 999 from a landline

If only background noise can be heard and BT operators cannot decide whether an emergency service is needed, then you will be connected to a police call handler.

If you replace the handset, the landline may remain connected for 45 seconds in case you pick up again.

When 999 calls are made from landlines, information about your location should be automatically available to the call handlers to help provide a response.


Other Domestic Abuse Support

National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Refuge runs the National Domestic Abuse Helpline, which you can call for free, and in confidence, 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247. Its website provides guidance and support for potential victims, as well as those who are worried about friends and loved ones. It also has a form through which you can book a safe time for a call from the team.


Women’s Aid has a range of direct services for survivors, including a live chat service and an online Survivors’ Forum. They have developed additional advice specifically designed for the current coronavirus outbreak. You can also find your local domestic abuse service on their website. They also provide information on the support helplines available in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Your Sanctuary offer support and empowerment to anyone affected by Domestic Abuse and enable children to be seen, heard and validated. We challenge mind sets to change attitudes and facilitate informed choices


Hestia provides a free mobile app, Bright Sky, which provides support and information to anyone who may be in an abusive relationship or those concerned about someone they know.

Men’s Advice Line

The Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline for male victims of domestic abuse and those supporting them.


Telephone: 0808 801 0327


Galop - for members of the LGBT+ community runs the National LGBT+ Domestic Abuse specialist helpline.

Telephone: 0800 999 5428  Email:



Chayn provides online help and resources in a number of languages about identifying manipulative situations and how friends can support those being abused.


Sexual assault referral centres


Sexual assault referral centres continue to provide non-judgmental advice and support services to victims and survivors of sexual assault or abuse.

Interviews, forensic examinations and sexual health and counselling services are offered in a comfortable environment where staff will ensure that victims and survivors will be managed safely to comply with coronavirus guidance. Please call your local sexual assault referral centre to arrange care and support, which may be provided in person or remotely depending on your needs.




‘Honour’-based abuse

If you are suffering abuse from your family or community because they say that you have compromised their ‘honour’, or if they are trying to force you into marriage, you can get help. Karma Nirvana runs the national honour-based abuse helpline.

Telephone: 0800 5999 247



BME specialist services

Imkaan is a women’s organisation addressing violence against black and minority women and girls.


Disability specialist services

These services are run by deaf and/or disabled people.

Stay Safe East provides specialist and holistic advocacy and support services to disabled victims and survivors of abuse.

SignHealth provides domestic abuse service support for deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL).

WhatsApp or Facetime: 07970 350366

Telephone: 020 3947 2601



Economic abuse

If you are concerned about how coronavirus may affect your finances and leave you vulnerable to economic abuse, please see the advice provided by HM Treasury on what support is on offer.

The charity Surviving Economic Abuse has also provided additional guidance and support.



Support if you are worried about hurting someone

If you are worried about hurting the ones you love while staying at home, call the Respect Phoneline for support and help to manage your behaviour. This is an anonymous and confidential helpline for men and women who are harming their partners and families. It takes calls from partners or ex-partners, friends, and relatives who are concerned about perpetrators.

Telephone: 0808 802 4040

Extra support - Educational psychologist

Educational psychology information for parents

Surrey educational psychologists concentrate on the psychological and educational development of children and young people at home, school and within the community.

Surrey educational psychologists have a collaborative approach, working with individual and groups of children, schools, teachers and parents and provide advice to other areas within Surrey County Council.

Parents and carers concerned about their child's progress should in the frist instance, discuss this with the class teacher or with Mrs Gridley who is our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator.

Surrey Educational Psychologist Team can be contacted directly - see below link 

Contact us about schools and learning - Surrey County Council (

Cost of Living Crisis

We know that people all across Surrey are feeling the impact of increasing costs and pressure on household budgets. If you are struggling to meet the needs of your family, due to finanacial hardship, please take a look at the below:

Surrey County Council

Every household in Surrey will receive a Cost of Living Directory of support, highlighting financial, health and welfare information. Click on the link below to access the directory:

Health and welfare support - Surrey County Council (

Woking Foodbank

"We don’t think anyone in our community should have to face going hungry. That’s why we provide three days’ nutritionally balanced emergency food and support to local people who are referred to us in crisis. We are part of a nationwide network of foodbanks, supported by The Trussell Trust, working to combat poverty and hunger across the UK".

Woking Foodbank | Helping Local People in Crisis

Citizen's Advice

If you don’t have enough money to live on, you might be able to get help to afford essentials like bills and food. This includes the Household Support Fund and cost of living payments.

Get help with the cost of living - Citizens Advice

Sythwood Primary & Nursery School

We don't believe that anyone in our school community should struggle to provide a warm, safe environment for their children. We are able to signpost families to other external support services as well as provide help with school uniform, Foodbank Vouchers or Foodwise support.

Please contact the main school office on 01483 770063 and ask for Mrs Jolly to discuss how we may be able to help.



Mental Health

What is 'mental health'?

The World Health Organisation (WHO) defines mental health as:

'a state of mental well-being that enables people to cope with the stresses of life, realize their abilities, learn well and work well, and contribute to their community. It is an integral component of health and well-being that underpins our individual and collective abilities to make decisions, build relationships and shape the world we live in.'

Parenting with mental health problems

Parenting comes with lots of challenges, which can be even more difficult if you're dealing with mental health problems.

What are mental health problems?

When we talk about mental health problems we mean conditions like:

  • anxiety disorders
  • bipolar disorder
  • depression
  • obsessive-compulsive disorder
  • personality disorders
  • post-traumatic stress disorder
  • schizophrenia.

This is not a complete list. There are many types of mental health problems, and if yours isn't listed, you can still find support.

How can mental health problems affect parenting?

Sometimes these conditions can affect a parent's ability to provide the care that children need. Parents or carers may:

  • have mood swings
  • find it difficult to recognise their children's needs
  • or struggle with keeping routines such as mealtimes, bedtimes and taking their children to school.

If you, or someone you know is struggling, there is help available:

Your GP may be the best place to start. Make an appointment with your GP and talk to them about what you are going through

Mind - information and support as well as helplines for people experiencing mental health problems and their friends and families.

Samaritans - If you're having a difficult time or worried about someone else. Call for free on: 116 123


Text SHOUT to 85258 from anywhere in the UK, 24/7. Shout is the UK's first free 24/7 crisis text line available for anyone, anytime, anywhere. The service is anonymous and off bill. It is powered by a nationwide team of Crisis Volunteers, supported by expert Clinical Supervisors. This is a place to go if you're experiencing a personal crisis, unable to cope and need immediate help.

Mental Health Crisis Helpline (SABP) 
Emergency support for individuals experiencing a mental health crisis. Lines are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Tel: 0300 456 8342 or SMS: 07717 9898342

Combat Stress
24-hour helpline providing confidential mental health advice. Open to veterans and those currently servicing as well as families, friends and carers. Call: 0800 138 1619 or email:

Mental Health Crisis Helpline - 24 hour support for people in Surrey and North East Hampshire experiencing a mental health crisis
0800 915 4644

Safeguarding Children

Safeguarding Children

If you are concerned about the safety of a child or young person you can contact the Surrey Children's Single Point of Access (SPA)


The NSPCC has issued guidance for spotting and reporting the signs of abuse on their website.

The NSPCC Helpline is available for anyone with concerns about a child to contact for professional

advice and support.

Telephone: 0808 800 5000




Childline  is available for children and young people to reach out for help and support by phone or using their online chat service. They also provide specific guidance for young people on how to get help and what to do if they are worried about a friend.

Telephone: 0800 1111


Barnardo’s provides support to families affected by domestic abuse.


Support For Family Life and Relationships

Support for family life and relationships

Family Lives  is a charity whose aim is to help support parents and carers to deal with all aspects of family life.



Highly trained counsellors available to support everyone’s relationships during this difficult time. There is support available through live chat and telephone and webcam counselling. Following the government's latest advice on COVID-19, most face-to-face services are temporarily closed. They have also put together some advice and tips for keeping relationships healthy during self-isolation and social distancing.


Support for single parents


Support available for single parents including advice around contact arrangements. Gingerbread groups will not be having meet ups for the foreseeable future however any Gingerbread coordinators are encouraging communication through WhatsApp and Facebook as an alternative way for single parents to stay in touch with each other. CAFCASS- Cafcass has put together some guidance to support children and families during the COVID-19 emergency to encourage effective co-parenting and help maintain a child’s routine.

Support for Parents, Children and Young People

Support for parents, children and young people

Register for FREE online parenting courses. -

Topics include:

Understanding your pregnancy, labour, birth and your baby

Understanding your baby

Understanding your child 0 to 19 years

Understanding your teenagers brain

The online guides contain advice relevant to expectant parents, parents, grandparents and carers of children of all ages including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).


Family Links have a selection of free downloads with practical tips and advice for parents. They also have a free online parenting course hosted by Netmums. Although it is hosted by Netmums, it is perfect for Dads too.


Surrey Parenting Handbook

This is a reference book for parents and carers of 11 to 19 year olds in Surrey. It includes information and contacts on 20 topics, ranging from alcohol, drugs and substance misuse to support for young carers.

Free NHS apps

The Baby Buddy app guides you through your pregnancy and the first 6 months following your baby's birth. It is designed to help you look after your baby's mental and physical health, as well as your own, and give your baby the best start in life.

The British Red Cross Baby and Child First Aid app provides simple, easy-to-learn skills to help a baby or child in a first aid emergency.

Peanut is an app that gives you access to a social network to connect

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now